'A Dolls House' Performance Evaluation


Evaluation 

I have really enjoyed learning about Stanislavski and working on his methods, as someone who really enjoys naturalism as it is a style of acting I am most confident in performing I was looking forward to working on Stanislavski's techniques in acting and being able to perform them and see how using his techniques can benefit your naturalistic acting. I like that he wants every movement and line in the performance to have a meaning and motive as I believe this helps improve your performance as an actor.

When we first watched 'A Dolls House' I was intrigued by the style of theatre and excited to be able to experiment with a scene from the performance. Then I was given the scene and my partner which I was all very happy with, and throughout the lessons working on the script I thoroughly enjoyed portraying 'Mrs Linde' as I enjoyed her character when we initially watched it.

A challenge I faced when it came to developing my character was her reaction moments, for a lot of the performance 'Christine' is reacting to 'Nora' and these reactions can have a somewhat underlying untruthful feeling to them, like she isn't being true to how she really feels about 'Nora' and what she is saying. However after seeking advice on this problem I was able to use a time in my life where I might have felt how 'Christine' does in this moment and use that for my performance.

A technique we used throughout our rehearsal process was Stanislavski's Units and Objectives, this technique aided our performance as it provided a motive for every movement and line the character delivered.

The strengths I saw in my performance I believe were that I portrayed how 'Mrs Linde' was feeling while she was listening to 'Nora', during the parts were she is speaking for a long time I was able to keep my character alive through facial expressions which conveyed that she isn't being entirely real towards 'Nora' and is potentially using her for her own benefit.
I believe my weaknesses were how comfortable I was with the script as it held me back slightly in my performance and delivering of my lines.

Techniques I will be taking away and using as an actor in future performances is the ability to use personal experiences and relate these to my acting to create a more authentic performance.
Also having a clear motive and understanding behind everything I am doing in my performance of a character, this helps to create a better performance to watch especially when it comes to naturalism.

Freddie & Chloe's performance

Their strengths in terms of their performance were that I think they understand the characters that they were portraying motives in the scene, however I think they slightly held back and could have potentially done more with the scene to make it a more enjoyable performance.

Emma & Anna

I really enjoyed their performance as Nora and Christine and it was clear that they were comfortable with their lines and have been practising their performance, I believe their is ways that they could further improve the performance with perhaps more understanding of the characters.

Comments

  1. Demi, there is some good discussion in your evaluation. I would like to see you really reflecting on your experiences in greater depth. Explain how you approached the techniques - the ease with which you explored them in rehearsal etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts